Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

14’ Fiesta SE Lurching/Jumping on DCT

Stk411

City
Lahaina
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta SE
Have this 2014 Fiesta SE 1.6

originally the fork B was bad and not engaging at all, it would spin freely without resistance. Reverse would not work @ all and driving it would skip gears.

fast forward,
I managed to slowly but steadily drop the transmission, clean it out. Put new forks and a new clutch. Started it up and tried reverse.. it engaged unlike before but the car is jumping and bucking like a wild bull, driving seems to be okay but it tends to skip gears also.

Im still getting the two DTC codes as before
P07A5, P287A

anyone have any ideas? Is the transmission internals maybe shot? TCM? I know my TCM is the original one but not sure if those two codes warrant a fault with the TCM and clutch job

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, not sure if you have the type of "reflash" they did to make the TCM performance quirks fix - there's several recall "issues" so it's kind of hard to hit which one your car would fall under - one is the TCM another if the bad transmission recall - both they reprogram the profile to help with issues.

1693008420396.png

But in many worlds of that TCM and the problems and drama it causes... - the main problem I see in the older units - can be best described in this video...
Look or watch Here

The premise is the "build up" of the clutch media - it gets trapped inside the housing - and simply cakes on - by heat, moisture and lack of ventilation. This includes - the wearing of the clutch pack, the disc material and the sheer volume of it. generates a range of motion - or throw - set of problems. This also does not address the electrical side of this - but replacement of the clutches and solenoids, works to a degree, but the ENTIRE housing needs a good rinsing out to remove that build-up debris and metal shards from the grinding-away this things faithfully deals with - everyday.

The TCM tries to "auto-range" on a regular basis as a means of self-check - but that does also mean that it may or may not complete the full-range of motion cycle - and generate a condition or two that if left to itself can self-destruct the transmission on it's own. Hence the recall.

So can you - if possible - dig down into that sleeve and clutch assembly and locate those shifter forks and see if the throw (slide sleeve) is blocked or not able to be done smoothly - then the transmission should be swapped out - it's throw-out bearing and the shaft it rides on, might be out of tolerance and grooved as such to generate a hit or error and if too many of them happen, the TCM's own realms of codes get set - you're experiencing this now...

OP
S

Stk411

City
Lahaina
State
HI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
Ok, not sure if you have the type of "reflash" they did to make the TCM performance quirks fix - there's several recall "issues" so it's kind of hard to hit which one your car would fall under - one is the TCM another if the bad transmission recall - both they reprogram the profile to help with issues.

But in many worlds of that TCM and the problems and drama it causes... - the main problem I see in the older units - can be best described in this video...
Look or watch Here

The premise is the "build up" of the clutch media - it gets trapped inside the housing - and simply cakes on - by heat, moisture and lack of ventilation. This includes - the wearing of the clutch pack, the disc material and the sheer volume of it. generates a range of motion - or throw - set of problems. This also does not address the electrical side of this - but replacement of the clutches and solenoids, works to a degree, but the ENTIRE housing needs a good rinsing out to remove that build-up debris and metal shards from the grinding-away this things faithfully deals with - everyday.

The TCM tries to "auto-range" on a regular basis as a means of self-check - but that does also mean that it may or may not complete the full-range of motion cycle - and generate a condition or two that if left to itself can self-destruct the transmission on it's own. Hence the recall.

So can you - if possible - dig down into that sleeve and clutch assembly and locate those shifter forks and see if the throw (slide sleeve) is blocked or not able to be done smoothly - then the transmission should be swapped out - it's throw-out bearing and the shaft it rides on, might be out of tolerance and grooved as such to generate a hit or error and if too many of them happen, the TCM's own realms of codes get set - you're experiencing this now...
Looks like the TCM Pooped itself. I got it to run after disconnecting battery, forward gears and reverse perfectly fine, then I parked it and shut it off now I’m seeing all sorts of codes and it won’t even crank now.
I wonder if these things are still back ordered in 2023