Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RMM causing a transmission fluid leak?!

Rhinopolis

I have the Cobb RMM and have had it since the car was a few weeks brand new. I now have a pro tune plus a few other bolt on mods, and am making somewhere near to 260 lbs of trq + at the wheel VD.

I recently noticed that a thin layer of "light colored greasy fluid" is collecting on the backside of the RMM. It is not dripping, but is definitely collecting on the RMM. I do not drive the car often at all (it's been two weeks since I last drove it) and today I went under the car to inspect after wiping away the fluid a few weeks ago to rule out any other reasons for the fluid to be there.

There was definite fluid, including a tiny droplet that was forming and appeared about ready to drop on to the garage floor. I touched the droplet, inspected it, and my WAG is transmission fluid.

Could I have somehow caused a transmission leak by over tightening the RMM, or perhaps has the change in engine power or aggressive driving habits caused the transmission fluid to start leaking?

Does transmission fluid evaporate when exposed to air in an unsealed environment?

Also, I don't like to uneccesarily have the dealer inspect for problems. Any advice for me?

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #4
Most likely your CV axle seal where it meets the trans. Common issue on these.
Thank you, and I will research this issue and go from there.

Does anyone know if transmission fluid evaporates when exposed to air in an open environment? I don't want to drive the car if it's potentially low on MTF, and if MTF evaporates then I have no way of knowing how much might have leaked out already.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thank you, and I will research this issue and go from there.

Does anyone know if transmission fluid evaporates when exposed to air in an open environment? I don't want to drive the car if it's potentially low on MTF, and if MTF evaporates then I have no way of knowing how much might have leaked out already.
It does not evaporate in the way you described. Axle seal is a easy fix for any reasonable mechanic.

Oh snap, I've just put on my mountune one... Haven't noticed anything yet. Is the cv axle seal the same thing as a half shaft seal/boot? I don't want anything to start leaking out of my car.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #8
From what I understand, the RMM has nothing to do with the seal leak.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #10
It does not evaporate in the way you described. Axle seal is a easy fix for any reasonable mechanic.
Thank you. Because it does not evaporate the way I describe, I guess that I am not losing much MTF? I will still check the MTF level before driving.

Are there any "how to" repair post on the axle seal? I have decent mechanical skills and have done enough work on my own different cars over the years to tackle a new for me component, such as an axle seal repair.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Such a minor leak is not a big concern at the moment but could become worse over time so best to address it now while the car is relatively clean and under warranty.

1) clean everything really well with a citrus or solvent cleaner but if solvent do not touch any seals with it.

2) take it out for a drive, enough to warm it up at the minimum but with such a seemingly low amount of loss perhaps put a few miles on it.

3) take a very good look, use a flashlight, paper towels, fingers, etc......and find where it is coming from.

4) take if from there and let us know please:)

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thank you. Because it does not evaporate the way I describe, I guess that I am not losing much MTF? I will still check the MTF level before driving.

Are there any "how to" repair post on the axle seal? I have decent mechanical skills and have done enough work on my own different cars over the years to tackle a new for me component, such as an axle seal repair.
I don't think there is a how to post about replacing the axle seal. Below is a general idea of what you would need to do.

You will probably need to destroy the old seal to remove it, cut the centre, collapse the side in one place and lever it out is one method I usually use. Take Particular care not to damage the trans housing where the seal fits. (drain the oil and remove the axle first)
Inspect the axle for corrosion and damage where the seal runs. Drive the new seal in without distorting it. A installation tool is best but a socket the same OD as the seal will do. Lubricate the rubber seal lip with gear oil before reinstalling the axle.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #13
Thank you for the detail, Sekred.

Does anyone know what causes the axle seal on our cars to fail? Is it that we are making too much power for the components to handle, or might it be a faulty install from the factory? If this is a "common issue" on our car, the axle seal failing at under 2500 miles on mine reduces my confidence a little in the build quality.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #14
I've been out of town working and the car has been up on Jack stands (not driven) in my garage since I discovered the SLOW leaks. I planned to repair/replace both leaking axle seals myself, and I decided to 1st consult a technician from Autonation Ford on Gulf Freeway Houston, TX where I purchased the car in April 2015.

The tech (Iggy) was very cool, talked to me for a good while about the car and the issue, and then he asked that I let the dealer work on it so that they could report the problem to Ford in case a TSB needed to be realesed for the issue. I purchased a quart of dual clutch tranny fluid, replaced any lost fluid in the transmission at home before driving, and I dropped the car off this past Saturday at the service department.

I received a call yesterday that they are replacing both axle seals under warranty, and I should have my car back to me by this weekend. The car has 2723 miles since new, and it was a little less than half a quart low on transmission fluid when I filled it up before taking it to the dealer.

I used a 4" piece of clean plastic weed trimmer "wire", and I marked exactly 1" of distance 3/4 of the way up the wire. With the car level on jack stands and the top fill hole bolt removed, I stuck the plastic wire in until the top mark of the 1" section was at the end of the fill hole and pointed down in to the transmission. I filled the transmission with a fluid pump until the fluid touched the bottom part of the 1" marking, which according to what Ford suggest should have be the correct amount of fluid.

Once I get the car back, inspect transmission fluid levels after the repair, and drive around for a bit (repeating these processes), I'll report back of the seals are fixed and no more leaks.

The leaks were very slow, and had I not gotten up under the when replacing my exhaust, I would have never known that they were leaking as they never "pooled" fluid under the car. The passenger side seal was "wet", and the driver side seal had a very small slow drip. Less than half a quart of transmission fluid lost isn't good, and hopefully there aren't more people unsuspecting driving around with the same issue and low transmission fluid levels. Might not hurt to have your car inspected just to be safe.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #15
[MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION]

I am not happy at all right now. Autonation Ford in Houston, TX on Gulf Freeway had my Fiesta ST for nearly two weeks and I was told that it was finally ready yesterday afternoon. I picked it up, drove it home, and I put it up on jack stands in my garage this morning to inspect that the work was done.

I still have a plain as day leak on my driver side axle seal!!!! Not only that, but they put 35 miles on the car in the two weeks that they had it, and I told the service manager yesterday that there was no need to put that many miles on the car while in their possession, and that to me that signified people wanting to drive it for fun.

I am just so pissed off right now and I want Ford involved. My brand new car with less than 2800 miles and the dealer returned it "fixed" after two damn weeks! This is my 1st Ford and I have always had Honda, Acura's, and Mazda's before. Sure things weren't always perfect with regards to the cars being problem free, but I never waited longer than a few days for a repair and the repairs were always done to where the issue was taken care of. Not a great 1st Ford experience.........

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #17
The photo of the seal isn't the best but since I was under the car and know where to see the leak, I can still plainly see the "wetness" around the bottom seal plus golden brown color of the tranny fluid. The "fluid drop" is plain for everyone to see, and its clearly leaking down from the seal and downward on the case. Unacceptable that this passed for a repair after two weeks in the dealers hands

PhoenixM3

The photo of the seal isn't the best but since I was under the car and know where to see the leak, I can still plainly see the "wetness" around the bottom seal plus golden brown color of the tranny fluid. The "fluid drop" is plain for everyone to see, and its clearly leaking down from the seal and downward on the case. Unacceptable that this passed for a repair after two weeks in the dealers hands
With regard to the joyriding by folks at the dealership. I would always think about loading the "valet" mode if I had to take it to a dealer. The leaking seals should not have happened at all for this mileage, and I'd guess that it shouldn't even occur at 40 or 50K miles. Good luck.

rexdriver85

I'm at 13k miles now and noticed both driver and passenger side seals have a very small seepage. Just enough to get fuzzy with road grime. Nothing anywhere near what you have with the dripping of fluid.

Good luck. I was a dealer tech many many years ago. Lots of really bad people in that environment. Flat-rate turns guys into hacks. Period. Warranty work too.

Hope you get it escalated and resolved.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #20
With regard to the joyriding by folks at the dealership. I would always think about loading the "valet" mode if I had to take it to a dealer. The leaking seals should not have happened at all for this mileage, and I'd guess that it shouldn't even occur at 40 or 50K miles. Good luck.
Thanks for the well wishes and I used my AP to put the car in valet mode when I dropped it off