Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2018 Ford Fiesta S w/t 5 speed manual

City
Sharpsburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta S 5 speed manual
In reading about my car, someone mentioned that the only manuals were available with the ST models (that would be a six speed). Does anyone else have an S model 5 speed standard? My Ford dealership calls it the "Unicorn". A truly rare sighting. It was born June 7th 2018 in Cuautitlan Mexico, approaching 30,000 trouble free miles.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The only manual gearbox that came in the basic Fiesta was the Five speed, IB5 transaxle. Other than making sure that the axle seals are not leaking, they have no issues.
The axle seals are a maintenance item because the oil in the gearbox is a rather expensive fully synthetic oil that you don’t want to have leak out. A pair of seals are less than ten dollars. A quart of ford gear oil is over twenty five dollars. A used replacement transmission plus the install labor would be around two thousand dollars.
Just giving you some cost perspective on why the seals are a maintenance item that should be kept an eye out for leakage.

OP
T
City
Sharpsburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I have it serviced twice a year at my dealership, any visible drips are addressed. The transmission is "Clunky" (shifting first, reverse, etc) sitting still, you can hear the movement, no grinding or anything like that, even with the engine off. Should you change the gear oil from time to time? I had some old VW's, that was an effort.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I made a dipstick from coat hanger wire. I just check the oil level and condition in 10k intervals. Only adding fluid when i replace the drive axle seals. I have owned my 2011 hatchback since new in July 2010. I haven’t had any other transmission issues. It’s been quite trouble free.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
There's others on here with 5 speeds, mine is an almost fully loaded SE 5 speed sedan.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To change the oil in the gearbox is subjective, for there are two "boxes" that are bolted together - one is the transmission, the other is the differential gears that converts the transmission to the transaxle. That too, is a self contained "box" that has it's own fluids.

Since this can get into a big mess, best to keep the maintenance at the dealership - just be sure to ask questions for there are not many places that know how to properly check fluids - just ask @scotman - he too has had his share of trials regarding fluids in gearboxes.

If it was not for his own research, we would not know a 1/4 of the knowledge he has expressed out here - not just in gearboxes, but in general automotive efforts.

OP
T
City
Sharpsburg
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Approaching 30000 miles, been serviced every half year, got some good garage guys (apparently I'm the only one in
To change the oil in the gearbox is subjective, for there are two "boxes" that are bolted together - one is the transmission, the other is the differential gears that converts the transmission to the transaxle. That too, is a self contained "box" that has it's own fluids.

Since this can get into a big mess, best to keep the maintenance at the dealership - just be sure to ask questions for there are not many places that know how to properly check fluids - just ask @scotman - he too has had his share of trials regarding fluids in gearboxes.

If it was not for his own research, we would not know a 1/4 of the knowledge he has expressed out here - not just in gearboxes, but in general automotive efforts.
Noted! Thanks. Had it figured out in my head, but good to know that others agree.