Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mitsubishi ending US production

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/24/mitsubishi-ending-us-production-report/

Mitsubishi is closing the doors on its US production as part of a "strategic move," Japan's Nikkei news service reports. According to Automotive News, the company declined to comment on the factory, and instead said it had "no plans to stop selling" vehicles in the United States. That's not what we asked, folks.

According to the Nikkei news, the company is in the process of finding a buyer for is Normal, IL factory, which it opened as part of a joint venture with Chrysler back in 1988. The facility currently employs 918 UAW workers, whose jobs Mitsubishi is attempting to save as part of its negotiations with labor reps. The Normal plant is the only Japanese production facility with UAW representation, Automotive News reports.

Normal is responsible for production of the Outlander Sport, building nearly 70,000 examples last year. Production is continuing on, according to the vice president for the local UAW Local, Kyle Young.

"We haven't heard anything," Young told AN in a phone interview. "We're supposed to have negotiations coming up" in August.

It's not clear how much the Mitsubishi will be selling the Normal plant for, nor is it clear if any parties are interested in picking up the facility, which contributes around $120 million to the local economy each year.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Sad to see the Evo go. :( It was always one of my favorite cars. Never owned one but always wanted to.

Izzy

Sad to see the Evo go. :( It was always one of my favorite cars. Never owned one but always wanted to.

Me too...just could never get over the ugly 1995 interior when I actually went to buy one.

That's crazy. It's like the only passenger car that actually sold here it seems like. Everything else was crap.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Well they really only had the evo. So in my eyes when they announced the Evo cancellation that was the end of mitsubishi.

Well they really only had the evo. So in my eyes when they announced the Evo cancellation that was the end of mitsubishi.
Yeah same here, when I was at the philly auto show they barely had a stand with 2 cars so I can only imagine they will not be around much longer.

TheStig

Oddly enough Evo's sat on lots for a long time. So when people like you or me say "Evo was all they had", that is a very biased opinion. Nothing else they make it exciting, that is for certain.

Nor is anything else they make particularly reliable or built well. You sit in an Evo and notice its somewhat cheap but forgive it because of the capabilities and its powertrain/drivetrain. But if you sit in any other of their other cars its just a penalty box on wheels and you certainly feel that way.

Oddly enough Evo's sat on lots for a long time. So when people like you or me say "Evo was all they had", that is a very biased opinion. Nothing else they make it exciting, that is for certain.

Nor is anything else they make particularly reliable or built well. You sit in an Evo and notice its somewhat cheap but forgive it because of the capabilities and its powertrain/drivetrain. But if you sit in any other of their other cars its just a penalty box on wheels and you certainly feel that way.
this is very true, they have been falling off ever since they dumbed down the eclipse from its 90s GSX days and they never really kept up with everyone else. all they have now that sells well i think is an suv? outlander right?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Worst decision was not making a galant replacement or an updated lancer. Eclipse could've also been resurrected to boost some sales. Many bad decisions by Mitsubishi. Evo being dropped was just a small part of it

TheStig

Outlander, Lancer and Mirage. Also their little I-MIEV electric car. So basically producing 4 vehicles.

Think they scaled back their product lines in order to produce more of what sells, this backfired and they got too deep into what they have. Now its time to see if they can resurrect themselves, it isn't TOO late yet. Oddly enough a smart move may be to get bought out or majority owned by a company like say Ford (were on a ford forum, deal with it). Then they can be helped along to producing better vehicles and possibly another sport car with some assistance from the parent company.

So sad to see this happen to Mitsu, ive loved the Evo's, their older DSM cars and the 3000GT. Hell their most recent Eclipse was missing one thing, power. It was a gorgeous car i thought but weak as hell and zero aftermarket support.

The Evo was assembled in Japan. Normal never built an Evo. Normal was home to DSM's (aks Diamond Star Motors) and the nicest SUV they ever sold here, the Endevour. Too bad the situation could not have been worked out with another joint venture with maybe Mazda or Suzuki. I doubt MMA will hookup with any other than Japanese automaker after the disasterous Diamler-Chrysler divorce that left MMA feeling like the ugliest girl at drunken orgy.

TheStig

The Evo was assembled in Japan. Normal never built an Evo. Normal was home to DSM's (aks Diamond Star Motors) and the nicest SUV they ever sold here, the Endevour. Too bad the situation could not have been worked out with another joint venture with maybe Mazda or Suzuki. I doubt MMA will hookup with any other than Japanese automaker after the disasterous Diamler-Chrysler divorce that left MMA feeling like the ugliest girl at drunken orgy.
I dont know if anyone thought the EVO was made here, I knew it was US produced. I think people are just assuming the Normal, Il plant closing is a bad sign for how Mitsubishi is doing along with the fact the EVO is being phased out.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club

This. I've owned many Diamond Star (or Mitsu) cars in the past (3000GT VR4, Dodge Stealth R/T TT, Eagle Talon TSi, Colt Turbo). They are crap cars and they LOVE to void warranties... so much so that they have company shmoes go to local race tracks just so they could void peoples warranties for "racing".

me32

1000 Post Club
This. I've owned many Diamond Star (or Mitsu) cars in the past (3000GT VR4, Dodge Stealth R/T TT, Eagle Talon TSi, Colt Turbo). They are crap cars and they LOVE to void warranties... so much so that they have company shmoes go to local race tracks just so they could void peoples warranties for "racing".
Then they wonder why there goin under

TheStig

Disposable-Speed-Machines. DSM.

But as John Sheppard of Shep-Trans, they are stupid fast when built. Ive still got a 92 6bolt AWD Talon TSI sitting at my parents needing a top end. Timing belt took the walk on me, so did the valvetrain with it.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club

I agree. Mitsubishi just sells crap, and crap that may sell in Japan, but not in North America. They have terrible management. Mazda was in a similar situation. They regrouped and focused on outing out high quality, sporty and attractive cars that have been praised and won many awards. That has translated into increased sales and the future is looking up for them. Mitsu missed the bus. They could've made a sporty and inexpensive car when they brought back the mirage nameplate, instead hey made a cheap econobox which is neither sporty, engaging or attractive.