Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would the 2.0 or 2.3 EB motors fit in the fist?

Just thinking outside the box for a minute but how sick would a fist with a modded 2.0 or 2.3 ecoboost be!!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I think this has already been addressed, anything is possible but the time and money it would take could be quite considerable.

The FiST can already be taken to power levels that are more than the car can effectively use on the street

A bigger engine could provide a wider power band making it easier to have the bigger numbers and be able to use it more effectively but not something likely to happen than more than just a very few would do.

I've thought about this too. Does anyone have dimensions of the different ecoboost blocks? You'll see crazier builds as the platform ages. These cars are still pretty new.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
I will most likely be one of the guys who goes bigger turbo and looks at a blown motor as a blessing so I can try and put that 2.3'in there!

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
I'm starting from the bottom up here so if the cost is only a few thousand more then what I would spend on the bigger turbo setup I would love to give it a shot!

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I too would love to see a 2.0 or 2.3 in a fiesta st but at this point in time it isn't feasible

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You can do anything with enough time and money... An Elise owner over in Switzerland stuffed a BMW M5 V10 into his car. If he can do that, and GRC/WRC Fiestas are AWD (2.0L) you can definitely get a 2.0 or 2.3L in the Fiesta. I'm sure in 10 years or so, someone will have fabbed an AWD FiRS.

From poking around the engine bay in the Fiesta it looks like squeezing in a larger motor would not be too much of a hassle, the 1.6 is quite compact and leaves a bit of space left over. I believe the WRC Fiestas use a 2.0L EcoBoost that is destroked to a 1.6 instead of using the 1.6 EB outright, so that motor would certainly fit. The problem is that swapping to a bigger, torquier motor would be much more expensive than modding the 1.6 and potentially leave you with a car that had worse off the line traction issues - meaning that you just paid a premium to go slower.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
From poking around the engine bay in the Fiesta it looks like squeezing in a larger motor would not be too much of a hassle, the 1.6 is quite compact and leaves a bit of space left over. I believe the WRC Fiestas use a 2.0L EcoBoost that is destroked to a 1.6 instead of using the 1.6 EB outright, so that motor would certainly fit. The problem is that swapping to a bigger, torquier motor would be much more expensive than modding the 1.6 and potentially leave you with a car that had worse off the line traction issues - meaning that you just paid a premium to go slower.
I obviously love these cars but am a little worried about losing the character of the car by just going bigger turbo... I'm guessing that the small weight difference from the 2.3 to the 1.6 is not very much at all and with that 2.3 or even 2.0 you can get those big turbo numbers while keeping that amazing power band... I think a 2.3 with just full bolt ons and stock turbo would be the ride of a lifetime in this car!! Think about 330-350 whp and 400ft lbs with a stock powerband!!!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I obviously love these cars but am a little worried about losing the character of the car by just going bigger turbo... I'm guessing that the small weight difference from the 2.3 to the 1.6 is not very much at all and with that 2.3 or even 2.0 you can get those big turbo numbers while keeping that amazing power band... I think a 2.3 with just full bolt ons and stock turbo would be the ride of a lifetime in this car!! Think about 330-350 whp and 400ft lbs with a stock powerband!!!
I am thinking about it... And it wouldn't be fun unless it was only a track car.

OP
M
Thread Starter #15
Traction, man. Traction.

Up top it would be fun, but all you're going to do is blow your tires off in low RPMs.
Eh... I think it would be manageable... Figure it would have about 100ft lbs more then what some bolt on guys have now with a similar powerband... Get some better tires and maybe flare it out a tad and it would be fine.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It would blow the tires off all the time unless you had a torque reducing tune for the lower gears, RPM's...
It would take a lot of tire to deal with that much power, 275 super sticky tires would be a good starting point, which I may run someday if a properly done aero dynamic body kit is ever made.

The stock turbo is simply to small even for a 1.6, instant big torque, spin, done......the Cyborg is far better, I had the first one.
Bigger turbo done right would be best on this engine, not BIG turbo, just bigger, Cyborg or GT25 series.
I am going to the GTX2860R from the 6258 EFR which turned out a bit to big for my needs, at bit to much Jeckle and Hyde nature.
The EFR sure seemed it would be fine from the specs, 2860 is still a bit big but I did not want to give up to much top end on long straights on road race tracks where I plan to shock a few Vette and Porsche owners;)

----------------

Pretty sure this has been looked into and the report was the 2.0 and 2.3 are just to big and would take very serious surgery to fit. Frame rails on unibody cars are not something one should mess with though I have done some minor mods on them, at that point may as well tube the whole front end.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Eh... I think it would be manageable... Figure it would have about 100ft lbs more then what some bolt on guys have now with a similar powerband... Get some better tires and maybe flare it out a tad and it would be fine.
Then what's the point of having 400ft lbs if you're going to feather it out? This is me trying to understand why a lot of the guys here want gobs of torque so low in the powerband. Some is great, but once you can't use it all, it seems more like a bragging right. My logic may be flawed, but it would seem that if you're feathering it out to keep traction, you're still going to be using around the same amount of power as the guy with 100ft lbs less. Now, if I were in a RWD car, and could slap sticky 350s on the car, or an AWD car, I'd be down for gobs of torque. Especially if it's a heavy car. We've got a light FWD car; doesn't take a lot to move it. If I parallel park at work, and I'm up a little too far for the next person, I literally just grab the steering wheel and pull or push the car as needed. So in my head, it seems like there's a point at which returns (fun) are diminished.

Sorry if that was wordy. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong; just trying to understand different perspectives.

OP
M
Thread Starter #18
I just got rid of a of cruiser convert with a gt3071r on it that made 429/479 to the wheels... Car pulled great but I just was not in love with the power curve... By switching to even a stock 2.3 I think it would keep the character that I love about this car and just magnify it! I could be wrong but I am def willing to give it a shot. Like I said DHM will be getting my car for a bigger turbo upgrade at the least but this idea really intrigues me and if it can be done for a reasonable amount of money I will happily be the guinnie pig!

Spinning isn't winning. Sure you might keep the stupid amount of low end torque "feeling" with a bigger motor, but the factory motor runs into traction issues already and with more low end torque you'll be sitting still while the stock car blows your doors off. If that is what you want, then by all means go ahead. In a front wheel drive car you have to manage torque with available traction, we are already boost limited in first and second gears to allow for more traction on a factory tune. As many have said before, why would you want 350ft-lbs when you can only use 275ft-lbs at the most? You won't feel the power because it won't be getting to the ground.

Torque isn't the way to go fast in small, lightweight cars. If you want to go fast, you want just enough torque to get you moving and big horsepower up top to really accelerate at speed. RAAMaudio said it best, a well sized aftermarket or properly modified stock frame turbo would give you the low end grunt of the stock car but provide a top end that didn't fall off so quickly. Having driven every Ford in the model lineup and hundreds of other cars, that ultra wide and manageable power curve (without peaks!) is really the ultimate for driving.

People like to swap motors in cars that have a terrible motor to begin with, or because the swap is easier and cheaper than working with the stock power plant. In this car you'd be throwing money away for novelty's sake which is why it just doesn't make any sense.

OP
M
Thread Starter #20
Honestly the fun factor in this car is more important to me then stoplight races (which i won't do) let's be honest here the fiesta is what is... It's never going to be a 8-9 second street car... I'm just looking for the most fun package I can get out of this and I think a slightly bigger motor in theory at least would be all kinds of fun!