Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Long distance drive 1500 miles (2500KM)

City
MADRID
State
Non-US
Country
Spain
What I Drive
1990 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.4
I plan on driving from Madrid, Spain to Budapest, Hungary, around 2500 km or 1500 miles. My car is a 1990 Fiesta Ghia 1.4 with 85,000 km, it has been well maintained, has a full service history and seems to run just fine.

I regularly drive about 550km between Madrid and Galicia and the car seems fine but this is obviously a longer journey... Any advice on wether the car will make the 1500 miles over a few days and what I can do before leaving to ensure the car has the best chances?

Thanks!

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
If it's been regularly serviced, just drive it. Keep an eye on fluid levels and tire pressures.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Very good question. In my experience, a long distance trip can reveal problems and weaknesses that would normally not appear. Especially in the cooling system and electrical systems.
The wheel bearings are another component that might not want to play along with completing the entire trip.
Accessory drive belts are the final area of concern. I lose faith in their integrity at the three year point.
My maintenance routines are formulated from a combination of experience and a cost-value calculation. Infrequently replaced items like heater hoses or drive belts are given a much higher value versus cost before a long trip because the expense of servicing any of them on the side of the road will be multiple times greater than the cost of replacement in your driveway at your convenience. But that is just me. I'm sure that some people might enjoy the time spent changing a serpentine belt in a rainstorm along the edge of a busy highway.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I will add an extra warning note to all modern Fiesta owners. Be extremely aware of the coolant level and condition of the coolant reservoir! These may begin to fail in a subtle way by losing a small amount of coolant or you might notice orange coolant droplets under the reservoir.
These damn things are a time bomb! They do not age like fine wine. They are subjected to high temperature and a brutal life of hot-cold low pressure- high pressure conditions. If they fail at highway speeds or in urban situations where you cannot pull over and stop the engine immediately, your engine will be destroyed.
I don't trust any of these reservoirs beyond three years. So everyone who has a 2011 to 2017 Fiesta would be wise to be very observant of this component.
If the engine is cold it takes about 15 minutes to install a new one and top up the coolant level.
It's also the only critical maintenance item on the modern Fiesta that can be done with just a pair of slip joint pliers.
Dorman offers a replacement ,#603-381 that will cost under 50 bucks. Which is less than half of the cost of a tow truck hookup charge before they add on the mileage charges to the repair shop! 20210622_143716_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I will add an extra warning note to all modern Fiesta owners. Be extremely aware of the coolant level and condition of the coolant reservoir! These may begin to fail in a subtle way by losing a small amount of coolant or you might notice orange coolant droplets under the reservoir.
These damn things are a time bomb! They do not age like fine wine. They are subjected to high temperature and a brutal life of hot-cold low pressure- high pressure conditions. If they fail at highway speeds or in urban situations where you cannot pull over and stop the engine immediately, your engine will be destroyed.
I don't trust any of these reservoirs beyond three years. So everyone who has a 2011 to 2017 Fiesta would be wise to be very observant of this component.
If the engine is cold it takes about 15 minutes to install a new one and top up the coolant level.
It's also the only critical maintenance item on the modern Fiesta that can be done with just a pair of slip joint pliers.
Dorman offers a replacement ,#603-381 that will cost under 50 bucks. Which is less than half of the cost of a tow truck hookup charge before they add on the mileage charges to the repair shop! View attachment 5382
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-381-Coolant-Reservoir/dp/B00NF1PWPE
$27!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That's an incredible price!. I bought the reservoir in the picture at a retail parts store. I am going to install this one on the project hatchback.
Anyone who is road tripping their Fiesta should know what nightmare awaits if they don't get rid of their 3 year old, or more, reservoir. These damn things are the weak link in our cooling system.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I'm sure that some people might enjoy the time spent changing a serpentine belt in a rainstorm along the edge of a busy highway.
I don't trust any of these reservoirs beyond three years.
Can I Quote you on that?

1624461466672.png
Get one while you can.​

Because knowing how I got stranded in a Nissan with a similar condition - a plugged radiator can also occur from the loss of coolant baking whatever's left - bone dry in the core - meaning a major flush including thermostat removal to obtain maximum removal of debris inside the engine too...

Even if I don't need it, I know I can get my investment back. This is just cheaper insurance.

Remember too, that the coolant tank can still hold fluid, but at no pressure even with a minor leak. Hot coolant that leaks out is replaced by air once it cools down leaving less to cool the motor with - until eventually its baked bone dry leaving sediment, varnish and who know what - behind in the nooks, crooks, and cavities

These things sit in the engine compartment, right next to a belt and a fan known to throw things and ricochet them around the compartment like shrapnel

A simple nick or cut from a rock smashing into the side of container - it's given it's life, you're on borrowed time.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Andy. Now you are scaring me! All this discussion about flying shrapnel. Between that and bursting reservoirs, i might start having nightmares that result in me waking up on wet sheets! Some of us are rather suggestible. Let's not frighten the children.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Andy. Now you are scaring me! All this discussion about flying shrapnel. Between that and bursting reservoirs, i might start having nightmares that result in me waking up on wet sheets! Some of us are rather suggestible. Let's not frighten the children.
1624472362923.png

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I got lucky last week. I was only three miles from home when the replaced in 2017 reservoir on my mom's 2013 chevy Cruze decided to become like "old faithful" i quickly pulled into a gas station and let it cool before the quick sprint home. No harm done. But the day before i had done a spirited blast down the highway to get some parts in Elkhart Indiana. There are many miles of roadside to die along on the way there and back to "Grass Lake tucky". So, im not 20210610_200404.jpg complaining.
In the pic below, the plume of coolant steam can just barely be seen venting towards the engine it was intent on killing.
So, when i say i have a concern, i am livin' it not just givin' it.

Last edited: