Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

High boost = whistling/honking sound?

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'm in the process of getting a custom Randy tune and boost levels are in the 24psi range. I've noticed when under full boost I get a whistling/honking noise in the air system.

I posted this on a Focus/Fiesta ST FB group and people said the noise is normal at high boost levels.

Does anyone else get a similar sound? Mods are in my sig if it matters.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm running ~25psi and don't hear any of those sounds you describe...did you check / re-inspect all your hose clamps to see if they are all secure?

as boost builds the turbo spins faster, i don't know the RPM of the turbo off the top ofmy head, but at 24psi I wouldn't be surprised to learn that our tiny little guy is wailing at over 250k rpm. That amount of airflow through a tiny little turbine is going to cause some serious whistle.

Your honk is the DV and/or wastegate operating under some serious internal pressure.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I'm running ~25psi and don't hear any of those sounds you describe...did you check / re-inspect all your hose clamps to see if they are all secure?
The FMIC went on 2 weekends ago and I used band clamps all around. They are really cranked on. Last week while the car was on a lift getting the Pierce Motorsports 2-point installed I checked the other factory clamps on the charge pipes. All seemed fine.

I'd think that if I'm getting a boost leak I wouldn't be able to hit 24-25psi.

Could it be the huge Mishimoto J-Line making noise as the charge air squirts though?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The FMIC went on 2 weekends ago and I used band clamps all around. They are really cranked on. Last week while the car was on a lift getting the Pierce Motorsports 2-point installed I checked the other factory clamps on the charge pipes. All seemed fine.

I'd think that if I'm getting a boost leak I wouldn't be able to hit 24-25psi.

Could it be the huge Mishimoto J-Line making noise as the charge air squirts though?
Did you also add IC hard pipes lately?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
as boost builds the turbo spins faster, i don't know the RPM of the turbo off the top ofmy head, but at 24psi I wouldn't be surprised to learn that our tiny little guy is wailing at over 25k rpm. That amount of airflow through a tiny little turbine is going to cause some serious whistle.

Your honk is the DV and/or wastegate operating under some serious internal pressure.
Turbochargers routinely spin up near the 300,000 range. It's not that turbo spool sound I'm hearing but some kind of resonance in the intake/charge pipe system... at least that's what it sounds like. The sound I'm hearing is lower in frequency than turbo spool whine.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Did you also add IC hard pipes lately?
No. I still have the stock charge pipes. I wonder if the donut on the hot side is adding noise instead of canceling it out since I'm pushing far beyond the stock 21psi overboost levels. Perhaps I should just throw parts at it and replace that pipe to see what happens.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
No. I still have the stock charge pipes. I wonder if the donut on the hot side is adding noise instead of canceling it out since I'm pushing far beyond the stock 21psi overboost levels. Perhaps I should just throw parts at it and replace that pipe to see what happens.
I was going to say "if stock" it could be that donut resonator on the hot side of the stock charge pipe causing it...

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I was going to say "if stock" it could be that donut resonator on the hot side of the stock charge pipe causing it...
I think we're onto something here. Time for an[other] upgrade! (wife is going to kill me)

are you still getting a honk though? or is it jsut the steady resonant noise?

From my Audi experience, that type of noise generally came from a failing DV. That donut could definitely be causing some turbulence though.

I think we're onto something here. Time for an[other] upgrade! (wife is going to kill me)
If you are looking to save money I could probably just sell you the hot side charge pipe, I don't use mine anymore but still using the cold side.
The cold side is less of a restriction anyway.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
are you still getting a honk though? or is it jsut the steady resonant noise?

From my Audi experience, that type of noise generally came from a failing DV. That donut could definitely be causing some turbulence though.
It's tough to describe. I want to say it's a tone of sorts and is constant when I'm above 23psi.

Do you think I'm overdriving the stock DV? Maybe I should ask Randy.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
If you are looking to save money I could probably just sell you the hot side charge pipe, I don't use mine anymore but still using the cold side.
The cold side is less of a restriction anyway.
Which one do you have?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
It's tough to describe. I want to say it's a tone of sorts and is constant when I'm above 23psi.

Do you think I'm overdriving the stock DV? Maybe I should ask Randy.
Doubt its the stock DV which has held up quite well for many running +25psi...

Which one do you have?
Sorry forgot that tidbit I have a Cobb hot side charge pipe no longer in use (used it for about 1 week).
I am using ATP's because of fitment with the new turbo and the port for the BOV.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Sorry forgot that tidbit I have a Cobb hot side charge pipe no longer in use (used it for about 1 week).
I am using ATP's because of fitment with the new turbo and the port for the BOV.
Cool. Maybe PM me a price?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The valve could be bad ( it would be the first I've heard of a stock bov failing, i have 4 of them ).

I still have the stock hot pipe(s) and dough nut, and I don't get an abnormal noises. 24psi would be low boost for me. I saw 28.4psi this morning.... No odd noises at all... Wish I could help more.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
The valve could be bad ( it would be the first I've heard of a stock bov failing, i have 4 of them ).

I still have the stock hot pipe(s) and dough nut, and I don't get an abnormal noises. 24psi would be low boost for me. I saw 28.4psi this morning.... No odd noises at all... Wish I could help more.
Thanks, that helps me with another data point. Maybe I need to get under there again to check all my clamps. The t-bolt clamps that came with the kit from Modbargains seemed maybe too large. I had to crank all of them down until there weren't any threads left.

I don't think I can get to them with the bumper still installed though. Not looking forward to doing that all over again.

Ford Community Posts