Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Shredded Dried Belt > Engine Misfire Trouble Codes

GnarlyBus

City
La Pine
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
My wife was driving her 2012 Fiesta (which she loves) and it shredded its serpentine belt. When this happened, the engine lost a lot of power and was limped home a mile.

Honestly, the belt should have been replaced as it was old and dried out. Some of the belt jumped onto the engine side of the crankshaft pulley and was melted into bits. I cleaned that out and replaced the belt, but the engine still sounds like it's misfiring with low power, hard to start, etc.

My current theory is that the serpentine belt jumping over may have slowed the crankshaft pulley enough to cause the timing belt to jump a tooth. Is that possible?

Is the MAF sensor possible bad or is that code pointing to a misaligned timing belt?

I appreciate your help!

Here are the DTCs:

Pre-Existing

P0054 - HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Heater Resistance - ORDERED

New

P0068 - MAF/MAP Sensor Throttle Position Correlation
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0365 - Camshaft Position Sensor B - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Pending

P0017 P - Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor B - Bank 1
P0016 P - Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A - Bank 1
P0340 P - Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0365 P - Camshaft Position Sensor B - Bank 1 Circuit Malfunction
P0300 P - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
I would check your crank position sensor to be sure it hasnt been damaged or miss aligned. Also look at any harness in the area that may have been grazed or damaged as well.
Depending on how deep the belt went behind the pulley I would also keep an eye on the crank seal to be sure it dosent develop a leak.
If all is good report back
Good luck

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I concur with @SyntheticAtmosphere - this sounds like it jumped time and your on borrowed time with the internal belt may have suffered the jump along with the serpentine belt shredding itself.

It may need two belts (Internal timing and Serpentine) and possibly a water pump replaced - because the internal timing belt also can affect the housing the water pump is.

So for the serpentine to shred, usually means the water pump pulley and the pump itself are suspect as to be possible faults to cause the serpentine to fail - along with the AC compressor and the Alternator.

Your current list of codes shows and confirms this

OP
G

GnarlyBus

City
La Pine
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate your time.

We decided to take it in to the mechanic, but I will report back when we get the problem confirmed and repaired.

I did look closely at the crank position sensor wiring harness when I was replacing the serpentine belt and it was visually ok, but I did not test it with a multimeter. I didn't check the alignment of the sensor. The crank seal is OK and not leaking.

OP
G

GnarlyBus

City
La Pine
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta
Thread Starter #5
As suspected, this turned out to the timing belt. The mechanic is going to fix it and replace the water pump at the same time. Thanks for the help!