Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Tent camping with a Fiesta..

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #21
If it was a pro rally it would be an international event. Many parts of it are so remote the media would need multiple helicopters to cover it properly.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Pulled the pin on the following; gotta drive to Colorado at the end of May:
1618946568695.png 1618946579776.png 1618946595354.png 1618946610851.png 1618946625045.png 1618946718603.png 1618946642065.png 1618946677122.png 1618947139711.png
Gonna get the big-ass bin for the basket, put everything in garden-trash bags, ratcheting tie-down, and off I go.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #25
Lake Superior is one of the great secrets of pristine wilderness left in the world.
Indeed. Many parts are so remote that if there were a simultaneous black plague and zombie apocalypse, it would be three years before anyone who lived there would hear it happened.

City
BERKLEY
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES HB
Pulled the pin on the following; gotta drive to Colorado at the end of May:
View attachment 5041 View attachment 5042 View attachment 5043 View attachment 5044 View attachment 5045 View attachment 5048 View attachment 5046 View attachment 5047 View attachment 5049
Gonna get the big-ass bin for the basket, put everything in garden-trash bags, ratcheting tie-down, and off I go.
That sounds great. We've driven to the Denver area a couple of times from our direction. Which route are you taking?

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #27
I found a roll of adhesive backed 3M foam camper tape. Gave the perimeter of the packer box a wipe with an alcohol soaked cloth and now have a weather sealed packer box! I didn't remember that I had any of that stuff until I found it during the recent spring cleaning orgy. 20210421_141907_HDR.jpg

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I found a roll of adhesive backed 3M foam camper tape. Gave the perimeter of the packer box a wipe with an alcohol soaked cloth and now have a weather sealed packer box! I didn't remember that I had any of that stuff until I found it during the recent spring cleaning orgy. View attachment 5053
Exactly what I had in mind!

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
That sounds great. We've driven to the Denver area a couple of times from our direction. Which route are you taking?
80 out of Sacramento > South out of Salt Lake to 40 > to 70 into Denver. Not sure about the return...may go north thru Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon...or south to Grand Canyon and into SoCal to run some old stomping grounds.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #30
Ted wrote some classic, gentle love songs. Wang dang sweet poon tang and cat scratch fever come to mind.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Picked up a 70-gallon bin with 2 wheels (on sale, no less). Used the camper sealing tape on the lid, added some reflective tape to the basket. The bin holds my full-size piece of luggage, laying down; plenty more room inside for other stuff. Feel pretty ready to go to Colorado in a few weeks.

20210501_134228-01.jpeg

City
BERKLEY
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES HB
Picked up a 70-gallon bin with 2 wheels (on sale, no less). Used the camper sealing tape on the lid, added some reflective tape to the basket. The bin holds my full-size piece of luggage, laying down; plenty more room inside for other stuff. Feel pretty ready to go to Colorado in a few weeks.

View attachment 5143
I like how that works. Looks like it would be really easy to get to a campsite, set things up, then leave the bin and basket at the site and explore the area unemcumbered.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I like how that works. Looks like it would be really easy to get to a campsite, set things up, then leave the bin and basket at the site and explore the area unemcumbered.
I also have a 5ft cable lock to keep it all secured to the car while I am in the gas station peeing. Gonna use that to leave it behind/secure it, if I feel like doing that. My tent will be big enough to put the whole mess inside and sleep too.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
A big part of this project is emergency evac. Where I live wildfires are a big issue, now. I needed a quick way to grab as much as I can in 30 minutes. I didn't want a trailer because that is too limiting & cumbersome, and the basket should not affect my gas mileage like putting stuff on the roof would do.

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #37
Seems like common sense has a firm grip on you LT!. I would have a "bug out" bag packed and ready during fire season as well.
Have you done any fuel mileage calcs regarding how far away you can go on 6 gallons of fuel, aka half a tank? If it wasn't on fire, i would bust ass for Lake Tahoe.

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Seems like common sense has a firm grip on you LT!. I would have a "bug out" bag packed and ready during fire season as well.
Have you done any fuel mileage calcs regarding how far away you can go on 6 gallons of fuel, aka half a tank? If it wasn't on fire, i would bust ass for Lake Tahoe.
From where I am Tahoe is often blocked by fire. I can get 35 on the freeway all day long. My place to land is my daughter's, which I can make on 8 gallons. I always keep topped up, at least 3/4 full. Living here you have to be fully prepared. I have an emergency list taped up in my closet next to all the stuff that I would need. Yeah...prepared.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
From where I am Tahoe is often blocked by fire. I can get 35 on the freeway all day long. My place to land is my daughter's, which I can make on 8 gallons. I always keep topped up, at least 3/4 full. Living here you have to be fully prepared. I have an emergency list taped up in my closet next to all the stuff that I would need. Yeah...prepared.
1620326276469.png

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You raise some good points (I Hope) I may be able to provide some input...

Ok, for starters, this is about survival and Shelter In Place (SIP) Or Alternative Location To Rendezvous (ALTR)

Being a Military brat, my Father once tried to teach us a thing or two about surviving and getting the h*ll out of there when the time comes - Quickly and effectively - as efficiently as possible.

This might bring up sore wounds or re-open old ones but no matter what - LT brings up a point of being able to get from Point A to Point B when you don't have the luxury of having a direction or route that is a straight line.

Best to plan ahead, and also consider your immediate needs and taking hits on the ability to make it there with what you have in the tank and on the ground you can take with you.

Most people don't see this, because we've lived in peacetime for nearly +40 years without some form of "Cold war" and having to watch your back because you don't know whom you can trust. It's harder to think life can be different - be thankful for what you have right now.

Some feel their SUV can be a SIP - they live in it and can call it home - but one thing is not considered, it was very prevalent in Texas just this past winter.

When you lose power - where is your next best place to shelter? Vehicles can only take in so much and have little and if any, amenities' for comfort just sitting there - you can ride out a day or two even take short trips to relieve yourselves. But you also have a requirement - Fuel - just like our own selves need nourishment - so does your means to get you out of there if the short term turns into a Long-term dislocation - relocation, event. So the ALTR approach with family, friends or Relatives takes precedence here.

Ok, there's one aspect, but how much can one tankful take you?

Many think oh, I just take my Gas mileage and multiply it by the number of Gallons my tank is...

Yes, to a point - and if you remember, when you have such an emergency, remember there are others that are facing this very same predicament as you - some re-route to refuel - you wait in line - sometimes a long time if you can even route there - meanwhile that emergency is getting more critical and closer.

Others may try to take a shortcut - remember that many others are looking at their Phones for that very same information.

Which not only do they route out differently, but you have to consider other conditions you'll be in...

How big is your motor? Are you an automatic or manual? Did you bring a gas can of at least a 5 gallon capacity with you?

Why does that matter?

If you run a V8 - or L-6 you might run out of fuel before you reach your checkpoint - many roads are simple two lane and will be lined with traffic heading in one direction, out of there, right along with you.

So any form of having to stop - a breakdown, accident or any sort of delay, can and will, take away your ability to drive at the most efficient speed possible - affecting your Gas mileage. You will lose mileage, especially true in automatics - Manuals can do better when it come to this because of the type of gear you can select gives you better creep and acceleration choices as automatics will still slip/spin up and down - against a torque converter that can't "lockup" until highway speeds are attained can waste a lot of fuel trying to pull the vehicle and all it's contents along with it at low speed in stop - start traffic.

Your vehicles engines' size, at idle, works against you in these cases. Bigger larger motors consume far more fuel and work more like an air pump wasting energy it can use otherwise, convert into motion to get you farther ahead. Having the engine Idle is your worst enemy when it comes to saving fuel to cross the finish line - Ford has done something similar to the cut-off and start - this helps but does take away some comfort features unless you override the feature.

We won't talk about heat just yet, but if you own electric - well, good luck and extension cords won't work - you won't have many places to plug in and wait along the way...
  • Hope it's not too cold - the only thing you've got in such a vehicle is something that operates a lot like a hair dryer - and it uses the very same batteries' you're using to get out of there.
So what @LionsTooth can teach us, is something we all need to be aware of; because of changes in both the environment and in our country's societal-approach and governmental agencies are taking us into - you may not like the results.

I don't want to turn this into _ "I bought this for this reason". No, I bought the Fiesta because of PREVIOUS experiences with other vehicles I've owned - I've made a "Best choice" selection based upon my current needs and yes, it does include, if and when the future, knowing what I know from the past - if that has taught us anything - buying big can be a costly mistake.

Last edited: