Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Daughter’s 2013 Fiesta is having transmission issues, how could we tell if it’s just the TCM or the clutch?

City
Vancouver, BC
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta
Hi everyone,

my daughters fiesta is currently in at the dealership in the long waiting process of the TCM being ordered in. I’m not hopeful of the time and it stinks as both them and their sister are going off to university in just over a month.

what I didn’t know I needed to worry about is that it might not be the TCM but could potentially be the clutch - we aren’t in a great financial position so I’m PRAYING it’s not that, but my kid was saying that it was “struggling” to shift, and was very “reactive”, both positive and negatively.

when they pushed on the gas it was a more stable acceleration, but recently it sounded like it was was most certainly not that.

im bracing for the worst. But I’m praying it’s not that. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The service manager should have the ability to check the warranty history of your Fiesta and see what transmission upgrades or service it has had. I know that technician’s can look at certain seals and determine what upgrades were done to certain areas because Ford changed the color to prevent the possible mistakes of changing parts that are already updated.
From late 2011 the DPS6 transmission underwent an intensive engineering evaluation and rethink on both the controller and the material specifications of clutch materials and seals. They made a series of upgrades in materials and rethinking of the shift strategies.
I would be most concerned about what upgrades and reflashes it has already had done. The level of work is very important in determining what is required or even possible to correct the situation.
Just for your information. The controller “learns” the drivers behavior with the throttle and brake. Some people have an extremely tentative style of brake and throttle behavior that tends to confuse the controller regarding what the driver is trying to do. Some people have more than one driver of their Fiesta and the car is constantly having to relearn each driver, which leads to some strange behavior from the gearbox. Hopefully this gives you some insight into the DPS6 situation.