Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Front Wiper Issue

NLFiesta

City
Paradise
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SES
I’m having a issue with the front wiper on my 2011 Forsta SES.

The front wipers will not work on any speed but the washer will still spray and the rear wiper works.
I’ve checked all the fuses and they are good, there doesn’t appear to be a relay in the system.
I changed the wiper motor and meant to check for power at the harness but forgot to (of course). Replacing the motor did not fix the issue so it’s either the switch or the wiring.

Has anyone had the switch just loose the front wipers? I know I will have to tear it all apart and check power at the motor. I will try to do that tonight.

Does anyone know where the ground are for the system so I can check them?

Thanks!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There are several locations - one being the firewall inside, at the Brake/Clutch/Accelerator pedals assembly. Up and underneath at the firewall - in mine it has Black with dark blue/violet stripe (Dark Blue or the Violet is fine line)

One FROM the Body control module - but near and by the module - at the kickpanel on the RIGHT side

One at the floor pan - by and at the seats - requires you to remove trim and the door gasket - to gain access to locate the bolt - in the riser ridge that the front seat bolts - bolt to. IT uses a separate bolt dedicated to the grounding points for several electrical devices in and around the area that includes switches and interior accessory returns.

1682123103826.png

The above is a schematic, - one of the power supply side - note F15, F13 and F11 are fuses - so check your owners manual and see if these are identified as such - for these fuses power the Rear and Front - and also the Washer motor - but the MOTOR for the washer is a single two terminal - so the Motor runs one way, but when the power to the wires are reversed - it reverses the direction - a type of check valve is used in the washer to direct the fluid to one hose or the other, depending on the port it "gushes" from when the polarity of the motor is in one direction or opposite.

1682123355521.png

The ground for the Washer is on the firewall just below the windshield - and back at the Body Control Module - but is buried in the harness from the front radiator to the spot on the frame under the battery. Wiper motor - shares the same ground point as the several points the ABS, Brake and even ignition share towards the main ground bond point the Battery uses.

The "C" stands for the Connector - while the "S" stands for the SOCKET/Splice - so there is a Male and Female as well as a "combined" connection type along the route that the wires take.

1682123767227.png
In this portion, the main front wiper motor shows a "park" signal too - so if ground seems ok, it can also get confused with "Park".

Also note too, that the Front wiper, it has a Ground, yes, but also a SEPARATE connection at the Body Control Module, for Wiper Return - being it too is "Ground sense" - so how this would work is to act as a "sense" if the Ground potentials between the Body Control Module and the Wiper were too different in potentials. Which may indicate a type of jam in the wiper arm - possibly causing bodily injury - from the excessive current draw - or in a stuck position - which then it would force a stop and turn off power to the wipers so they wouldn't cause further damage or further damage to the BCM from that draw and damage internal components even though they are powered thru fused lines.

But you wanted to know about the wiring - so the Wiper motor has a 4-pin connector - just check at the connector, to see if Ground still exists.

IT would also display a message in the APIM if you have one.

Best I can do to help you get started.

Last edited: