Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

I get strange noise when starting up MK6

Billy3011

City
Rowley Regis
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2008
When I start the car in the morning I hear a tick sound every 10 seconds coming from the engine, But if I drive the noise goes away. It happens when the car is idle, I have a Ford Fiesta 2008 titanium model. should i get it checked out?
This is my first, I dont know anything about cars, I appreciate any help i can get. Thank you.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Yes, if you don't know much about cars, you'll have to take it to a mechanic.

OP
B

Billy3011

City
Rowley Regis
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta 2008
Thread Starter #3
Yes, if you don't know much about cars, you'll have to take it to a mechanic.
not the best advice as mechanic wanted £90 just to check car, had a neighbour check it over today, he said was either low engine oil or bigger problems with oil pressure, after checking car luckily it was low oil, I didn't know you should only check oil when engine is cold because the last reading i got from dipstick was it was within max/min. Long story short, no more noise so far. Ill know in the morning when i start it up if its fixed or not.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When these noises happen - best to develop - if not done already - a maintenance schedule.

To have a mechanic look at it for 90 £ - is a LOT cheaper than to have that same mechanic have to find and fix something that was broken due to not following a schedule and maintain the vehicle.

It also works in your favor as cheap insurance because you have found a mechanic that although may be expensive to you - might be the one that knows more about this condition - or not - so it's best to get second opinions.

You will have to look at your options.

You give us very little information to go on - so you're asking us to pull a rabbit out of our hats...

90 bucks (£)? It' only goes ↑ from here on out...

A simple "tik" every ten seconds can simply be from a purge valve used to pull fumes from the EVAP canister that stores the fumes from the gas tank - as far as being a condition - you say it goes away as you drive. So more than likely it is a valve that has worked its lifetime and is near its end of its life cycle, so it has to be replaced.

You also own and operate a vehicle that is from 2008 - it's now 2023 - nearly 15 years of operation - that's a pretty good score and for you to be upset of a mechanic that costs you money to just take a guess - well, that is your choice - but you do deserve to be congratulated for a feat many overseas here in the US - wish we could still own and have.