Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

P0420 code

stuie

City
Stockton
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 SE
Hi everyone I'm Stuart, I have a 2018 SE Fiesta, I've been looking on the net for ideas to fix the car, the car doesn't appear to have any exhaust leaks, none that I can hear anyway, its not misfiring, doesn't have any strange odor's coming from the exhaust either. the only thing I think it might be is a O2 sensor, just not sure which one because either my car or the scan tool I'm using doesn't have or support live data, some help would be great thanks. the car about 50,000 miles and no engine work has been done to it other than change the oil.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
The P0420 mil code is a "low catalyst efficiency" indicator. The catalyst efficiency monitor is a ancillary function of the comparison of outputs from the upstream O2 sensor and the downstream O2 sensor.
The upstream O2 sensor might be in need of replacement. Or, less likely, given the fairly low mileage of your Fiesta, you might have a failed catalyst. In either case,installing a new upstream O2 sensor would be my first act.
As a general rule, i replace the upstream O2 sensor at 60,000 miles. The cost of a new one is no big deal compared to the replacement cost of a catalyst. I consider the upstream O2 to be the "guardian" of the health of the catalyst and also a key component to maintaining top fuel economy.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Now I know why I got a message post from someone saying

"A Post was deleted..."

My writeup for someone using too many different types of cleaners and how it can damage the exhaust system - has been removed, so a post I spent a lot of time on - about the P0420 code - was also wiped out - possibly due to a deletion of a user that got pissed and so they required a deletion - So that took out my effort in the Thread ...

Maybe some of you might remember this...
1699806684995.png

The issue of 420 is what @scotman says, the Catalytic converter is losing efficiency - this puts you in a bad spot for losing the Catalyst can also affect not just the smell of the exhaust but the overall Gas efficiency and mileage you can get per gallon of gas - let alone the performance hit.

The post I put up talked about how simple things we take for granted that may not be directly noticeable - over time - does increase the likelihood of a failed part.

Simple stuff...

• Backing up to park your car, Hit one of those abutments that chock your wheel? - if your exhaust pipe is low enough - it can strike it and place the pipe to bend and even break a seal - or even crack the Catalytic converters innards from the force the backup does on the chock.
  • Excessive idle times - in close confines - a car parked by a wall - the exhaust if it's trapped can find places including itself, by the pipe, to creep back into the engine and force the engine to run mixtures to keep the idle normal at it's own expense - meaning that excessive CO2 can force the emissions to run the engine to a point of being too lean to keep the O2 sensors in normal range.
  • Using cleaners in the hope of clearing up engine codes - some cleaners are way too agressive for simple use or combined use with others - that can create a toxic soup that will remove too much carbon and even plug the honeycomb in the system so it can breathe - to a point that once you floor it to clear out those toxins plugging up your motor - smashed into the sensors and the catalyst honeycombed structure - cracking it into pieces - to a point the when you remove it - you can hear it rattle - not to be confused with a loose motor or hanger mount - but the catalyst can get broken into dust by the heat and pressures of that exhaust gas pressure gradient across that catalyitic converter - reducing it's efficiency.
Even if that is not the case
  • - it can even be done by the road debris hitting the underside of your car and pulling- striking or even denting the pipe and all the components it's attached to are also stressed. When they are heated to operating temperature - it can break because of the exhaust pressure of the gasses getting pushed thru that pipe and catalyst are still present.
  • Lowering your car - places the exhaust in a vulnerable spot - even rolling over railroad tracks can dent up the system.
  • Poor fuel grades - please don't use E85, with Gas stations now being less inspected; equates to more abuse, more and more often they use cheaper fuels that have blends of more alcohol (or something else more exotic) in them - this can damage the exhaust catalyst because your car emissions is not set up to run it. - This may require you to switch fuel stations and what grade of fuel to use from now on.
So, you are in for some homework, and if the Mileage is low enough - you might be able to get it fixed at a substantially reduced cost because of it being under warranty if the Catalyst is found to be defective due to a manufacturing defect as lack of rare earth metals or failed because it was not put together correctly at the Factory.

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Misfueling with E85 could be a contributing factor for sure.

OP
S

stuie

City
Stockton
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 SE
Thread Starter #5
The P0420 mil code is a "low catalyst efficiency" indicator. The catalyst efficiency monitor is a ancillary function of the comparison of outputs from the upstream O2 sensor and the downstream O2 sensor.
The upstream O2 sensor might be in need of replacement. Or, less likely, given the fairly low mileage of your Fiesta, you might have a failed catalyst. In either case,installing a new upstream O2 sensor would be my first act.
As a general rule, i replace the upstream O2 sensor at 60,000 miles. The cost of a new one is no big deal compared to the replacement cost of a catalyst. I consider the upstream O2 to be the "guardian" of the health of the catalyst and also a key component to maintaining top fuel economy.
So far I have replaced the downstream O2 sensor and cleared the codes on the PCM, now I just have to wait and see if it comes back, if it does I'll change the upstream sensor, if that doesn't get it, then the combination manifold will be next.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You should know that the upstream O2 sensor is the determining sensor. The downstream sensor is a slower acting confirmatory sensor.