Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Stuffed Struts?

allagras

City
Wanneroo
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2010 Fiesta ZETEC 1.6 WT
Hi All
I'm new to the forum so Hello!
I'm running a 2011 ZETEC 1.6 WT (manufactured in Thailand not Germany)
MNBJXXARJJBT63835

Ride is compromised at the front - very bouncy and damper testing the front end does not return the car to level. i.e the top of the front tyres is pretty much level with the wheel arch. Its also very bouncy at low speed and hard over bumps etc.

I have had a look underneath and both of the concertina gaiters at the top of the struts are stuffed - about 3 pieces on each ide and i can physically put my hand in and move the bump stop up and down. I suspect that the pistons will travel into the cylinder on the strut but are not then returning, thus the car is lower at the front and the damper not absorbing the bumps - thus, the struts are stuffed and i need a new pair plus a new set of the dust gaiters? Springs seem to be AOK - no rattle or movement so doesn't look like a snapped spring and the strut mountings seems OK, but I've not taken the struts out yet

Any advice / feedback gratefully received

Cheers
Grant

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Have you changed the Front struts on this car?

Any service history?

When the front nose dives when you stop or it bounces as you drive - even over a smoother road, but has a wavy uneven paving job done to it. The is a sign that the struts need replacement - especially if they are OEM (Original Equipment).

IT's a 2010 - the struts are spring and shock combo, they are two pieces in one unit - always best and recommended that the strut be replaced as one unit; and the both struts done - replaced together, one for the Left and one for Right.

The only snags I see here is the Sway bar links - they are mounted on the strut, and go to a large bar that is bolted to the undercarriage of the car, in the engine bay. IT transfers the impact and bounce of the shock on one side - the the bar into the other to let both struts bear and dampen the impact or bump - equally so you can handle the road and the car drives better due to it - it gives it that sporty feel.

Sounds like struts are getting too weak, and the coil springs are losing their tension so they can't bear as much weight as before - so they sag, and the wheel rides closer - buried in the wheel well.

OP
A

allagras

City
Wanneroo
State
Non-US
Country
Australia
What I Drive
2010 Fiesta ZETEC 1.6 WT
Thread Starter #3
HI
Thanks for the reply - actually full service history but only stamps in the book - no receipts so I can't tell what was done.
I ended up getting new KYB struts and some new springs and chucked them in - ride is fine now, so that was deffo the issue